Friday, April 22, 2005

PAGE 14,,,,,,,,, caught up to Kim,,,,,,,,,,

David and Fawn had grown real close; they were only three months apart in age. They were like twins. They did everything together. They watched out for the other, to be sure they were o.k. David was having a hard time with Fawn's visits too. It was like he knew she didn't like going and he worried about her while she was gone. He would sit by the window and watch for her to come home. When she was brought back he would be the first one to meet her at the door. He was doing very well; his development was slower then Fawns. We contributed that to the slow start he had at birth, because of the drug addiction. His worker had me take him to a doctor to evaluate his development; he turned out to be about six to nine months behind. The worker told me I needed to take David in to the hospital for some blood work. I had no idea what the reason was until I got to the hospital. There they told me that David was to be screened for HIV virus. He was at high risk because mom was an IV drug user and she had been prostituting. My heart went out to him even more now, needless to say my anger at mom raised. They told me his tests came back just fine, but that there was a ten-year window for the virus. So I just looked at it as no big deal. This would not change the way I felt about him. David’s mom was still in and out of jail what seemed like every few months. In the times she was out she disappeared, David didn't have visits. When mom went back in jail, that's when she would call the worker and say she wanted to see her son. This was hard on David, going to a jail to see a woman he didn't remember any longer. David’s dad would pop up every once in a while too, requesting visits with David. The worker had to comply with giving him visits. Then David's mom announced she was pregnant again, seemed like this was the pattern for almost all the children in our home. I figure that when a child is taken away from these moms they just figure they will have another one to replace it. Back in jail again David's mom was getting visits, his dad had started to clean up his act somewhat. He started to do the tasks the worker planned for him. David was going for more regular visits. This set him into some of the reactions that the others were having. He was very clingy when he came home. Mom was the savior for all the little scared babies, and this caused the bond between us to get even stronger. I was starting to wonder if I was doing these babies more harm then good. I wasn't sure, the only thing I did know for sure was they needed me and I had to be there for them. Our girls had fallen in love with these three little kids in our home, just as much as we had. They would come home from school and the first thing they did was check on them and what they were doing. They treated them just like they were their own flesh and blood. The cool thing for them was to bring over their friends and show off their little brothers and sister. We were just like a regular family, just that some of our family had a little darker skin than the others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's It? That's ALL? I need more. More. More! :) Keep posting. I'm so glad you got caught up so I can keep finding out more. You are an amazing woman!